Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Tooth Fairy and a Little Pocket Money

Virginia is seven years old and has lost four teeth, yet she's never put a single one of those teeth beneath her pillow.  She's told us on numerous occasions that if she knew for sure that the tooth fairy wouldn't take the tooth, she would put one under her pillow.  I've encouraged her to write to the tooth fairy and attempt negotiations, but she has been too suspicious to do even that.  Today, however, she changed her mind.  The change was prompted by her stark realization that she was totally and completely broke, with not even a quarter to spend on bubble gum.  Virginia spent the entire weekend muttering to herself about how she needed to find a way to get some money.  Get, not earn money.  Before bed this evening, she had decided that she would give the ole tooth fairy a try.  She wrote a detailed note of introduction and apology (for withholding her teeth for so long), and taped a little envelope to the letter.  She placed a single tooth in the envelope and asked the tooth fairy if she would accept one tooth in exchange for some money.  Her letter was funny and sweet, and it makes me chuckle just thinking about it.  She had already placed the letter under her pillow by the time I came to tuck her in.  I was hugging her and ready to be on my way, when she said, "Before you go, I need you to swear to one thing."  Darn it, I knew that was coming.  She told me in no uncertain terms that she needed to know whether or not I was the tooth fairy.  Her words: "So do you just sneak in here, take the tooth, and leave money?  Is that how it works?  Mom, it would be kind of weird if you were the tooth fairy because the tooth fairy once left a picture of herself under Ella's pillow, and that picture looked nothing like you.  So, that would be weird if you had left a picture of someone else.  Don't you think?" Hey, it was a really cute picture!  Ugh, anyhow, I stared at her for a minute and then began asking her questions to gauge how'd she'd take the truth.  Eventually, I decided that I had to be honest with her.  "Well, Virginia, I am the tooth fairy,"  I cried.  Yes, I cried, though she shed not a single tear.  Instead, she pumped her fist in the air and yelled, "YES!  YES!  That means I'll actually get some money!  I wasn't sure if the tooth fairy would forgive me for keeping my teeth for so long, but I know that you will!"

Later, Virginia stopped by Ella's room to tell her that now they were both in on the secret.  Then, Virginia wrapped her arms around Ella and said, "I love you so much for not telling me about the tooth fairy.  Thank you!"


1 comment:

leslie said...

this is the sweetest story about your kids! i love them all. and i love that virginia was thrilled instead of upset! :)

Blog Archive