Sunday, July 31, 2011

More than any other game, our kids like to play make believe.  I'm not talking about getting into costume and affecting an accent for an hour or two as they role play.  I'm talking about assuming their characters for days, defining every detail of the characters' personalities, day-to-day lives, and personal relationships.  I'm talking about throwing parties for these imaginary characters and using real money to buy real presents for them.   I'm talking about when I hear my kids say "mom," I have to ask "which mom are you talking to?"  More often than not, they are not talking to me.

They won't play this game with any of their friends because, as they say, it's a "family game."  So, they always take great pains to ensure that their props are put away where none of their friends will come upon them.  They play every day, for hours on end.  Often, I use the time when they're playing to get my chores done, so I'm not always listening to their dialogue.  Occasionally, however, a little snippet of their conversation will catch my attention, and I'll eavesdrop from another room.  

About a week and half ago, Ella, Virginia, and Jude began a new chapter of make believe.  This chapter has been dedicated to overcoming great peril,  preparing for and surviving natural disasters, acknowledging their own personal heroism, and reenacting the petty dramas of everyday life.  I've overheard Virginia begging her siblings to evacuate their homes before the twisters strike.  I've overheard gossip of the young man (Jude) who wanted to marry a young woman (Virginia) until he found that she was pregnant.  Upon discovering that she was with child, he left her high and dry.  I was perplexed by this scenario and so I asked them to explain it to me.  As it turns out, they were inspired by, of all things, the holy family.  Virginia played Mary, but in place of a faithful and loving Joseph, my kids inserted an evil Batman (Jude's character), who would shun all the virtues of Saint Joseph and leave Mary to fend for herself.  Nice.  I mean, why not get creative?  The girls at least expressed disgust with Batman's character, so I don't think I have anything to worry about.   

More than anything, it seems that the kids like the control they have in these make believe games.  And in fact, they seem to get along better when they're playing make believe than when they're engaging each other in "real life."  So curious.





No comments:

Blog Archive