Sunday, February 12, 2012

Jingle Bell Run

Ella joined the Mighty Milers, the YMCA's youth running club.  The club is for kids ages 8-12, but like most other parents, we think our kid is special and so I asked the coach to let Ella (who is only seven) join.  With the exceptions of swimming and running, Ella has virtually no interest in athletics.  It would seem that she is not a team player.  Anyhow, the coach was willing to give Ella a chance, and though she was nervous to run with all older kids, she toughed out the semester.

Daniel and I alternate running with Ella so that she can work on her endurance.  Our runs are humbling, to say the least.   I typically run about 5.5 mph (technically not even a run) and go 2-3 miles per run.  I try not to push myself-- mostly because I'm lazy, partly because I don't like to sweat.  Ella runs about 6.5 mph, and she never slows down.  When I run with her, I pant and wheeze and tell her to go on ahead of me, and I feel at the same time old and proud.  Proud of her, that is.  

Ella finished up the semester by running a 5K.  Daniel ran alongside her, while the kids and I joined Grandpa and Gigi in cheering for our favorite runners.

Our two little goons waiting to see their sister and dad run by:



Getting started:
Star runner posing with her mom:
 And the Mighty Milers group photo:
Ella finished the run, seemingly without much effort (Daniel also finished, though with a more concerted effort).

Our conversation after she crossed the finish line:
Cathleen:  Awesome job, Ella!  How was it?  I'm so proud of you!  Doesn't it feel great to finish a race?
Ella:  Ugh, I just kept wondering how much longer this race was.  I was just mad that it took so long to get to the end.  Why did it have to be so long?  Geez.

No comments:

Blog Archive