Thursday, July 7, 2011

In Daniel's Words

For the longest time I've been trying to persuade Daniel to do a little guest writing for thelewsterd.  This blog is supposed to be a record of our family (with all of its blessings and challenges) and a place for us to keep family and friends up to date on our goings on.  So, it would be nice to hear Daniel's perspective, particularly since he's such a funny, clever writer.  Still, every time I suggest he write, he says "No, no, it's your blog.  It's good for you to write.  It's your thing.  Enjoy it."  And I say, "Blah, blah, blah, throw me a bone, dude.  I don't want to forget this day, but I'm too tired to write."

Well, today I was lucky enough to come upon a letter Daniel wrote to an old friend from college.  Daniel copied me on the letter, so I don't think I'm breeching any confidences here.  In the letter, Daniel gives his perspective, which is really fun to know.  I'm posting his words here; otherwise, they'll become lost in the thousands of emails sitting in my account.

The kids are busy growing up.  Ella (7) will be starting the second grade this fall and devours
a couple books a day easily.  Spends a lot of time asking us 'why' and
occasionally yelling about the injustice of the world.  Mostly she is
just a sweet kid though, a bit shy, but eager to learn new things.
Curious about the world.  Virginia (5) starts kindergarten in the fall
and despite our neglect, seems to have taught herself the basics of
writing and arithmetic, no reading though, oddly.  She loves attention
and busies herself either pretending to be a mom to a few dozen dolls
and stuffed animals, or fighting with her brother and sister, or
recounting word for word the things she has just done or said in
another room 30 seconds ago.  While laughing.  Jude (4) is obsessed
with being a boy and doing manly things.  For someone like myself
(masculine, but hardly testosterone laced) it is funny to watch him
insist on muscle shirts, ball caps, power tools, and ninja moves.  His
favorite activities are (loudly) racing matchbox cars around the
house, pretending to be a superhero, and repeatedly smacking the
hard-packed dirt of our backyard with a rake in order to make, as he
calls it, "smoke".  He can easily burn an hour or two digging holes
for no known reason.

Cathleen is doing well. She is surviving the blitzkrieg of motherhood,
torn between the desire see the kids off to grade school and not
wanting them to grow up at all.  She does not get to see Kate Deacon
all that much, but they are still best friends.  Ditto for her family.
 (Though we almost moved to Tulsa Oklahoma recently to solve that
problem).  She is usually engaged in a half dozen different crafts or
hobbies at any given time, currently sewing, baking, and house-hunting
for no one in particular.  Should probably add Facebook to her list of
hobbies....  : )

My time is mostly taken up with work and the family, but I work on
side projects as I can.  Currently learning how to make cheese,
raising chickens, and tinkering with electronics.

1 comment:

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

Seriously Cathleen....if we just replaced y'all's names with ours, Tommy could write that EXACT letter about our family. It is eerie!

p.s. my word verification is "Obace Men" which strikes me as funny

Blog Archive