Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas Recap

Daniel found Jude crying himself to sleep tonight.

When Daniel asked Jude what was wrong, Jude said "I want this family forever.  I want to have Ella and Virginia and mommy and daddy forever.  I don't want to grow up and become a daddy because I won't be able to be with this family."  Daniel consoled him by reminding him of all of the holiday visitors we have had and will have, that even though Daniel and I are all grown up, we still get to see our moms and dads and brothers and sisters.

Earlier today, Jude sidled up to Daniel and said, "I love our Christmas, daddy."

Earlier today, Ella told me, "I'm so glad I don't imagine what I want for Christmas.  If I did, I wouldn't end up with the unimaginable.  This Christmas is so great!"

Earlier today, Virginia said, "Why did Ella get more presents than I did?"  I replied, "Well, she didn't really get many more presents.  Anyhow, your doll was expensive.  You should just be thankful for what you did get."  And she: "Well, I doubt that Santa had to pay for it.  He makes all of this stuff there."  I'd like to note that when Virginia opened her doll, she hoorayed and cheered and she said to the doll, "Now, come with me.  I need to introduce you to all of your sisters."

I was skeptical about whether or not we'd enjoy this Christmas.  It's the first time in my entire life that I haven't spent the holiday with one of our parents for at least some part of the day.  In fact, I'd kind of been dreading today, because I knew I'd miss all of our extended family.  And while it's true that I did miss them all so much, this was one of the best days I've ever had.   We relaxed and played games and read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (I took the girls to see the play earlier in the week) and took naps and never got out of our pajamas.  In fact, we were having so much fun that we decided to all together skip making Christmas dinner.  And for the first time in my entire life, I ate frozen food for Christmas dinner.   Daniel and I are sitting in the living room, he reading about bread, I typing away.  The house is quiet and messy, and I couldn't be more content.

No comments:

Blog Archive