Thursday, August 25, 2011

Virginia's First Day, Ella in the Second Grade, and Life These Days

Ella has long looked forward to the day that she would take her sister under her wing and guide her through the halls of our elementary school.  She's spent hours drilling into Virginia the school rules in order to prepare her for the structure and demands of a day in the life of a kindergartner.  Virginia has listened with rapt attention, hanging on Ella's every word, asking questions and imagining all of the what-ifs.  

I woke Virginia Monday morning, rubbing her back and whispering that it was time to get ready for school.  She instantly flipped onto her knees and began bouncing on her bed, singing  "I'm going to school, I'm going to school, I'm really really going to school."   Ella was less enthusiastic when I woke her, though she was not entirely resistant.   Both girls quickly got ready, and our entire family set off to walk them the half mile to school.  


A fearless Virginia leads Ella to the doors of the school.   



Our school allows parents to walk children to their classrooms on the first day of classes.  Virginia preferred to walk alone.  Here is a recap of our conversation about the matter:

Me: Okay sweetheart, let's go.
Virginia: I'm going by myself.
Me: I'm just going to walk you to your classroom.
Virginia: I want to go by myself.
Me: I want to make sure you find your way to the right room.
Virginia:  I can do it by myself.
Me: I need to go with you so that I can take your picture.
Virginia: You can take my picture tomorrow.
Me: The school doesn't let parents walk with their kids on the second day of school.  I'm only allowed to go with you today.
Virginia: Okay, I guess you can come.

So, I went.  I have no shame.  Her first day wasn't just about her and her milestones.  It was also about me and my milestones.  I was nervous and a little sad about spending days without my two girls.  I was having a hard time imagining what Jude and I would do without them.  And I wanted to see her walk through the door to her classroom.  I wanted to kiss her goodbye and make sure that she was okay.  I thought that perhaps she too would feel a little sad when it was time to say goodbye.  She didn't.  She bounded into the classroom like it belonged to her alone.  She found her name tag, hung up her bag, sat down at her table, introduced herself to her classmates, and began drawing a picture of our family.  She glanced up at me, waved, and went back to drawing.   As for Jude and me, we managed to find our way out of the school in spite of my tears and disorientation at having only one child to care for.

At the end of the first day of school, an administrator who I hardly know asked me if I were waiting for Virginia.  I found it a little disconcerting that she would know Virginia's name so quickly.  After all, Gingie is so fiery and enthusiastic, that I had no real expectations about her behavior.  Frankly, if her teacher had told me that she was being a model citizen, I would have believed it.  And if her teacher had told me that Virginia was leading some sort of a protest, knocked another child down, and had spent the day with the principal, I would have believed that too.  But Virginia has indeed put her best foot forward, and she has come home every day with a sticker for good behavior.  Today she even received a special award for being so attentive to the school rules.  I am so proud of her!

When I asked Virginia how she enjoyed her first day, she said.  "I was so good.  I raised my hand every time I had a question.  One time I raised my hand until I counted to sixty, but my teacher never called on me.  I didn't want to talk without permission, so I just got up and tapped her on her arm and told her that I had a question.  Then I got to talk."

Yesterday, she came home from school and told us that she had given a boy in her class a slip of paper with her name on it.  She wanted also to give him our phone number but she didn't know it, and she wondered if we'd write it down for him.  This brief exchange followed:

Daniel: Well, Virginia, we don't want you giving out our phone number.  Let's wait a little while and if you become good friends with him, maybe we can talk about it again.
Virginia: We're already good friends.  He sits at my table and I gave him my name on a slip of paper.
Daniel:  What's his name?
Virginia: I don't know.  He hasn't told me yet.
Daniel: Right, well, we're not giving him our number just yet.

 Regarding Ella and her first day of second grade ...

Second grade began well.  Ella's teacher is particularly interested in math and science and all things non-fiction.   Because Ella devours fiction and in fact frequently conjures her own fictive realities, this teacher seems a perfect balance for her.  The class has already begun science experiments and math lessons.  Each day Ella must choose two non-fiction books and one fiction book to read at her table.  And so, while Ella continues to indulge her love of mysteries, she is simultaneously learning all sorts of interesting things about insects and earth and space and a million other cool things.

Ella was a little disgruntled to find that unlike kindergartners and first graders, who receive a daily sticker to reward their good behavior each day, she will only receive a weekly report.  In her words, "No fair!" Aaah, growing up ...  Ella's bag did contain it's own little treasure today.  A note.  A girl at her table slid her a note during class.  Ella opened it and read:


Will you be my BFF?
Sarah
And in answer,  Ella nodded an affirmative.

The girls loved their first day of school and they have loved every day since.  Jude and I have enjoyed being alone--he doesn't even seem to miss his sisters, yet.  It seems that this is the beginning of a very promising year.  In a few days, I will begin classes--prerequisites for the UT Health Science Nursing program.  In a few years, I will (hopefully) be a nurse.  In a week, Jude will begin two days a week of mother's day out.  In a month, faith formation will begin and I will again teach all of the precious children I taught last year.  Daniel has gotten himself (and as a result our family) on a new path towards a more health conscious lifestyle, and he has already lost about twelve pounds.  In my efforts to provide him with more healthy meals, I have dropped a few pounds myself.  We are the proud new owners of three brand new baby chicks.  (Their cheeping is one of the sweetest sounds I've heard).  The house has been 90% sealed to prevent bats from again taking up residence in our walls.  By the end of September, all bats should be out of our house and in search of a new residence.  Beware, neighbors!  And though I today received a $6,000 bill from the health department (the cost of our rabies immune globulin),  I'd say we're basking in blessings.   This is going to be a good year for us all.




4 comments:

Bethany said...

This is awesome. All of it.

Unknown said...

what, you had to get rabies shots?!

Cathleen said...

yes, kevin. we all got the rabies immune globulin and vaccine. and i learned today that i will have quite a battle ahead if we've got any hope of insurance paying this bill. blech.

Lucy said...

Nursing! That's great, Cathleen. I took all the prereqs a few years ago. It turns out that science is fun after all.

Let us know how you like your classes.

Blog Archive